I have taken this green thing too far! New Zealand Green Lipped Mussels prepared a la Moules et Frites, I cant help it its summer! My friends say I dont explain enough, this is for you.
- 2-3lbs Mussels
- 2-3 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1-2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 stick of butter
- 5 tsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 scallion chopped rough
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Mussels: Wash, scrub and debeard the mussels. Any mussels that are open give them a sharp tap if they remain open discard them with any that have broken shells.
- Place the white wine in a large saucepan with the mussels and bring it to the boil then reduce it to a simmer and cook with the lid on for 2-3 minutes until the mussel shells open, any that do not open discard. Remove the mussels from the pan and keep warm.
- Strain the wine and return it to the pan bring it to the simmer and whisk in the butter so that is well incorporated. Stir in three tablespoons of the parsley and a little salt and freshly ground pepper. Return the mussels to the pan and cook them for a minute until heated through.
- To Serve: Distribute the mussels with the cooking liquid among 4 bowls or deep plates and sprinkle over the remaining parsley and place a lemon wedge on the side of the plate. Serve with a side plate and bowl with water and slice of lemon.
Frites (french fries)
- 2-3lbs floury potatoes (e.g. Idaho)
- Oil for deep frying
- Frites:Peel the potatoes and cut them into wedges 3-4in long and .25in wide and thick. Place the potatoes in a bowl of cold water and leave them to stand for 10-30 minutes or rinse them thoroughly in cold water. Remove the potatoes from the water and dry them thoroughly.
- Heat some oil in a deep fryer, wok or large saucepan to 250-325°F (the oil should half fill the container). When hot cook the potatoes in batches for 4-5 minutes until they are tender but not golden, drain the potatoes on some kitchen paper (It is important not to overcrowd as this will reduce the cooking temperature and will stop them from cooking evenly). Heat the oil to 325-350°F and cook the potatoes in batches for 1-2 minutes so that they are golden and crisp, when removed from the oil place them on kitchen paper to drain. Sprinkle with a little salt and serve. *To test the temperature of the oil use a thermometer or to test it has reached 350°F drop a cube of bread in it and the bread should float to the top and be golden.
- To Serve:Serve the frites on a side plate with a little frites sauce on the side (frites sauce is like a tartar sauce) if using or place them on the side of the plate with the mussels.